About the TNUSSP
The Department of Municipal Administration and Water Supply, Government of Tamil Nadu Municipal (MAWS, GoTN) aims at scaling up access to safe and sustainable sanitation to all its urban areas in the next five years. Tamil Nadu is poised to become a fully sanitized and healthy state, substantially eliminating open defecation, achieving improvements through the entire sanitation value chain, safely disposing an increasing proportion of its human excreta, and re-using/ recovering resources therefrom. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) is supporting GoTN to achieve the Sanitation Mission of Tamil Nadu. This support shall enable the GoTN in investing resources towards innovative solutions to achieve mission goals.
A Technical Support Unit (TSU) has been set up to be the comprehensive technical arm for the MAWS-GoTN, and assists in implementation of state-level and city-level initiatives, based on agreed parameters. In addition, two sub-TSUs have been set up in two select urban locations.
IIHS is supporting the Government of Tamil Nadu, and is the lead agency for implementation of the Tamil Nadu Urban Sanitation Support Programme (TNUSSP).
About the Trichy CWIS Project
Trichy has been selected as one of eight cities under the City-Wide Inclusive Sanitation (CWIS) initiative by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. CWIS cities are expected to move towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goal for sanitation to ensure safe, inclusive, and financially sustainable sanitation services, and serve as global benchmarks.
The Trichy CWIS project is guided by the urban local body and delivered by a consortium of partners led by IIHS. While the project aims to improve overall sanitation outcomes in Trichy across the full cycle of sanitation, it focuses on improvement of service delivery to the urban poor and vulnerable. The project also attempts to mainstream sanitation into existing initiatives, showcase innovations and systematically document and share learnings (particularly with a view to enabling replication).
The Practice Team at IIHS is responsible for providing cutting-edge and integrated solutions to India’s urban development challenges by bringing together faculty and experts across diverse domains of knowledge and practice, exposing learners to real-life problems, and integrating practice into academics and research.
The Communications Manager – TNUSSP & CWIS will be responsible for anchoring project communications for TNUSSP & CWIS including newsletter, website, social media and media engagement. S/he must be able to showcase the work of the programme, while also aiming to raise the profile of urban sanitation on the whole through powerful and engaging communication.
This is a contractual project-based engagement for an initial term of 11 months, renewable on mutual consent, and with the potential to turn into a regular position over time.
Activities and Tasks
Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to:
- Anchoring project communications for the TNUSSP & CWIS projects, including operationalising strategies, content development, execution of campaigns, and media relations;
- Developing, implementing, monitoring and adapting comprehensive multi-media communication strategies, targeted at multiple segments, to build continued awareness about the programme, while raising the profile of urban sanitation;
- Creating targeted communication strategies for flagship events and launches;
- Facilitating and guiding the preparation of diverse communication materials across various channels in multiple languages, especially English and Tamil;
- Coordination with different teams for ensuring successful conceptualisation, design and production of communication products including press kits, leaflets, brochures, presentations, press releases, banners and testimonials, etc.;
- Working with a multitude of stakeholders including team members, partners, government, etc.;
- Streamlining processes and workflows, including quality assurance, and systematic archiving;
- Responding to communication-related issues in a timely manner;
- Providing support to other IIHS activities including academics, research, training, practice, operations and others;
- Participating in all activities of Institution-Building at IIHS; carrying out tasks as assigned by IIHS; and travelling on IIHS work within or outside the country as and when needed.
Structure and Reporting
The Communications Manager – TNUSSP & CWIS will be an External Consultant coordinating with the Team Leader, TNUSSP or any other person designated by the Team Leader, and will be required to collaborate effectively with a diverse group of internal teams and external individuals/organisations.
The role will also require working in close coordination with the IIHS Communications & Design team to ensure that project and programme communications are aligned with the core institutional communication strategy and related guidelines.
The candidate shall possess:
- A Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Journalism, Communications, Marketing or similar discipline/s with 8-10 years of relevant experience, working with content and communication plans, preferably for a development sector programme;
- Excellent communication skills – both spoken and written; fluency in Tamil would be an added advantage;
- Excellent organisational and managerial capabilities, with the ability to work across teams and manage work pressure;
- Demonstrated ability and experience to design communication targeted at a wide variety of audiences;
- Ability to manage a team and activities from content creation, including both text and visual outputs, to planning and execution, and monitoring;
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office applications, including MS Word and other desktop publishing software;
- Familiarity with digital and social media to ensure the communication plans are well rounded and suitable to multiple and inter-generational audiences;
- Excellent inter-personal skills; should be comfortable working with inter-disciplinary teams, and a variety of programmes.
This is a contractual project-based engagement for an initial term of 11 months, renewable on mutual consent, and with the potential to turn into a regular position over time. This offer is on an exclusive basis, which implies that other professional assignments (whether compensated or not) that bear a potential conflict of interest with the IIHS cannot be undertaken.
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
The position is based in Chennai with frequent travel within Tamil Nadu and other locations in India.
Review and Assessment
The role and performance of the incumbent shall be subject to normal review and assessment systems at IIHS.
IIHS is an equal opportunity employer that encourages women, people with disabilities and those from economically and socially excluded communities with the requisite skills and qualifications to apply for positions.
Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any clarifications while filling the online application form.
Download Job Description Document