IIHS seeks Research Associates to join its vibrant intellectual environment within the Academics and Research programme. IIHS is increasingly recognised in India and internationally as a significant node in urban research and practice on the global South. Its promotion of inter-disciplinary pedagogy, on-the-ground learning, an excellent library on various aspects of the urban, and a convivial place for research make it an ideal location for scholarship.
This call is associated with the PEAK (Prediction and projection, Emergent urbanism, Adopted knowledge, Knowledge exchange) consortium, funded by the Grand Challenges Research Fund (GCRF), UK.
About the PEAK project
Led by the University of Oxford, and in partnership with IIHS, Peking University and the University of Cape Town, the PEAK consortium has identified four overarching themes of urban dynamics – Prediction, Emergence, Adoption and Knowledge. Researchers will work across natural sciences (including mathematics, medicine, transport and engineering), the social sciences (including anthropology, development, migration) and humanities (including law, history). The PEAK framework synthesises traditional urban studies disciplines with emergent new urban sciences in a programme of research and capacity building across the humanities, social sciences and natural sciences. PEAK is grounded in the logic of urban complexity to develop an array of disciplinary perspectives that will address the challenges of the 21st century city. More details on the PEAK consortium are available here: http://gtr.rcuk.ac.uk/projects?ref=ES/P011055/1
The focus of the PEAK project is particularly on developing a new cohort of interdisciplinary urban researchers, and therefore offers multiple opportunities for young scholars to develop research, teaching, and writing skills. Opportunities exist for individual scholarship, collaborative work with scholars at partner institutions including the University of Oxford and the University of Cape Town, as well as potential travel to partner institutions through summer schools and internships.
IIHS seeks applications for a Research Associate to join the PEAK research project on Bengaluru’s land economy.
India’s cities and their regions are made up of complex economic relationships and produce a diverse range of spatial and social economic outcomes. The relationships, spaces and outcomes visible in India’s cities, are often difficult to understand using economic theories and concepts, which draw on Euro-American development experiences. A key factor structuring the complexity of urban economies is the question of land – and the diversity of social, economic and financial relations that depend on land, land value and land use.
We are looking for a person interested in studying the city and its economy (urban and periurban areas) from the perspective of land & real estate – and land based financing. Candidates with a research interest and practice experience in land & real estate markets, urban land development through public-private partnerships, land-based urban financing and land governance are encouraged to apply.
The Research Associate will be part of the process of expanding ongoing research at IIHS on land, land economy, urban financing and metropolitan governance. Fieldwork is envisaged primarily in the Bengaluru region.
Activities and Tasks
Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Assisting with primary and secondary research related to the GCRF-PEAK project on Land Economy and Urban Finance;
- Carrying out literature surveys of existing work on land economy, land value capture and land based financing with a particular focus on India, Bengaluru, and cities of the Global South;
- Collating existing secondary datasets as well as building new datasets (both quantitative and spatial) related to land and real estate markets, land-based public-private partnership projects, land based financing and land value capture in Bengaluru and India;
- Collecting primary data (both qualitative and quantitative) on land and real estate dynamics in urban projects and in urban finance initiatives;
- Application of practice and research based (qualitative and quantitative) methodologies as well as development of new and innovative methodologies pertaining to land valuation, financial structuring of projects, urban economics and land economics;
- Providing writing assistance on reports, academic papers and other outputs as part of the project;
- Involvement with other related research and practice projects at the proposed School of Economic Development at IIHS;
- Providing support to other IIHS activities including academics, research, training, practice and operations;
- Participating in all activities of Institution-building at IIHS; carrying out tasks as assigned by IIHS; and travelling on IIHS work within or outside the country as needed.
Structure and Reporting
The Research Associate will report to the Senior Consultant – Academics & Research at IIHS and will be required to collaborate effectively with a diverse group of internal teams and external individuals/organisations, and students.
Applicants should have:
- A Master’s degree (or higher) in a relevant field such as (but not limited to) urban economics, land economics, real estate studies, urban planning, public finance or economic sociology;
- 3-5 years of work experience on land and real estate issues, urban finance, public-private partnership structuring;
- Familiarity with real estate data collection and secondary data sources such as revenue records, municipal property tax records; and new real estate datasets being generated in India;
- Familiarity with land valuation techniques, real estate transactional practices will be an advantage;
- Proficiency in Excel;
- An interest in experimenting with or developing new methods as well as building new empirical evidence to study the urban land economy and land-based urban finance.
Candidates with a basic knowledge of GIS or experience with spatial datasets; experience with leading or being part of field–based projects in Indian cities; and working knowledge of Kannada would be at an advantage.
This is a contractual position for an initial term of 11 months, renewable on mutual consent. This offer is on an exclusive basis, which implies that other professional assignments (whether compensated or not) that bear a potential conflict of interest with IIHS cannot be undertaken.
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
This position is based in Bengaluru and may entail travel to other locations in India.
Review and Assessment
The role and performance of the incumbent shall be subject to normal review and assessment systems at IIHS.
IIHS is an equal opportunity employer that encourages women, people with disabilities and those from economically and socially excluded communities with the requisite skills and qualifications to apply for positions.
Please write to us at email@example.com if you need any clarifications while filling the online application form.
Download Job Description Document