About the TNUSSP
The Department of Municipal Administration and Water Supply, Government of Tamil Nadu Municipal (MAWS, GoTN) aims at scaling up access to safe and sustainable sanitation to all its urban areas in the next five years. Tamil Nadu will be poised to becoming a fully sanitised and healthy state, substantially eliminating open defecation, achieving improvements through the entire sanitation value chain, safely disposing an increasing proportion of its human excreta, and re-using/ recovering resources therefrom. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) is supporting GoTN to achieve the Sanitation Mission of Tamil Nadu. This support shall enable the GoTN in investing resources towards innovative solutions to achieve mission goals.
A Technical Support Unit (TSU) has been set up to be the comprehensive technical arm for the MAWS-GoTN, and assists in implementation of state-level and city-level initiatives, based on agreed parameters. In addition, two sub-TSUs have been set up in two select urban locations.
IIHS is supporting the Government of Tamil Nadu, and is the lead agency for implementation of the TNUSSP.
About the Trichy CWIS Project
Trichy has been selected as one of the cities under the City Wide Inclusive Sanitation (CWIS) initiative by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF). The wider CWIS initiative is globally supported by multiple agencies and organisations including the BMGF and the World Bank. CWIS cities are expected to move towards achieving the Sustainable Development Goal (SDG) for sanitation to ensure safe, inclusive, and financially sustainable sanitation services, and serve as global benchmarks. The Trichy CWIS project will be guided by the urban local body, and delivered by a consortium of partners led by IIHS. While the project aims to improve overall sanitation outcomes in Trichy across the full cycle of sanitation, it will also focus on improvement of service delivery to the poor. The project will also attempt to mainstream sanitation into existing initiatives, showcase innovations and systematically document and share learnings (particularly with a view to enabling replication).
The CWIS project builds on ongoing work done by IIHS on urban sanitation in Tamil Nadu.
As an Associate/ Senior Associate of the TNUSSP and CWIS team, your involvement will focus on social media management, analytics and monitoring specifically for the TNUSSP programme. Other support activities will include internal communication with relevant team members for community engagement programmes, other labs, events at IIHS, and helping disseminate information on the programme.
Activities and Tasks
Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Planning and executing a social media calendar for the TNUSSP and the CWIS projects:
- Managing and updating information about TNUSSP & CWIS and engaging with users on social media sites such as Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, YouTube, etc. in a consistent manner;
- Leveraging posts/blogs/videos from others in similar spaces and posting our point of view;
- Developing content for social media:
- Managing all channels in a hands-on manner;
- Writing across different platforms and performing quality checks on content;
- Providing support in developing blogs;
- Maintaining a weekly content calendar for publishing content across the TNUSSP social media handles;
- Building a pipeline of videos, GIFS, infographics etc. as content;
- Using tools for Social Media Management (like Hootsuite);
- Building an influencer list and comparator list while identifying trending hashtags and relevant handles to be tagged, and regularly updating this list;
- Managing paid promotions in digital media;
- Creating analytics reports:
- Monitoring digital platforms and related analysis;
- Tracking spend and interactions on all digital media platforms;
- Using data for campaign optimisation;
- Creating weekly and monthly reports for tracking programmes for programme leadership communication;
- Travelling to other locations for live social media activity and supporting other institutional events as and when required.
Structure and Reporting
The Associate/ Senior Associate – Social Media will report to the Team Leader – TNUSSP or a person designated from the team, and will need to work closely with relevant people from the IIHS Communications team.
The candidate must hold a Graduate or Post Graduate degree with major in Communication/ English/ Social Sciences/ Developments studies/ Urban Planning or similar subjects. S/he must have 5-6 years of experience with a proven track record of working with relevant tools across social media platforms and running promotions, and must possess the ability to generate analytical reports.
A demonstrable track record of having worked in a development programme will be an added advantage.
The ideal candidate should be able to curate relevant news and grasp appropriate information to use on Social Media platforms. S/he must be competent in researching, creating (or enabling creation) and repurposing for each specific digital network and be able to plan and co-create a content calendar for publishing on different channels.
S/he must have excellent communication skills and the ability to curate as well as suggest design requirements for various types of digital content. Preference will be given to candidates with experience in working with tools like Hootsuite, Buffers, Analytics Dashboard and listening platforms.
S/he must be comfortable working with data, drawing actionable insights and be proficient in MS Excel. Proficiency (reading and writing skills) in both English and Tamil is mandatory.
This offer could be either for a regular position or for a contractual project-based engagement.
This offer is on an exclusive basis, which implies that other professional assignments (whether compensated or not) that bear a potential conflict of interest with IIHS cannot be undertaken.
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
The position is based in Chennai, with extensive travel to other locations in Tamil Nadu.
Review and Assessment
The role and performance of the candidate shall be subject to normal review and assessment systems at IIHS.
The IIHS is an equal opportunity employer that encourages women, people with disabilities and those from economically and socially excluded communities with the requisite skills and qualifications to apply for positions.
Please write to us at email@example.com if you need any clarifications while filling the online application form.
Download Job Description Document