About Urban Fellows Programme (UFP)
India’s urban transition is unprecedented in scale and complexity. Within it lie both the opportunities of increased economic growth and employment as well as the challenges of persistent inequality, extreme deprivation and environmental degradation. IIHS has launched the Urban Fellows Programme to foster a new generation of urban practitioners and change makers, to become part of shaping this transition.
The Urban Fellows Programme (UFP) is a fully funded, nine-month, full-time, inter-disciplinary fellowship for recent graduates and young professionals from varied educational backgrounds or practice domains. The UFP 2017-18 is based out of the IIHS Bengaluru City Campus. The fellowship runs from August 2017 to the end of May 2018.
This position will be responsible for delivering multi-sector placements, internships, and effective career development support for IIHS graduates, starting with the Urban Fellows Programme.
The incumbent will be responsible for developing the placement and career support system, including creating a database of suitable organisations and institutions where IIHS graduates can potentially find full time employment and internships, reaching out and establishing relationships, conducting interactive events; as well as providing support to graduates by advising in selecting career paths, preparing CVs, and supporting with interviews; etc. This will involve in-depth interaction with IIHS faculty, learners, advisors, and institutional networks to identify and engage with potential employers such as think-tanks, development sector organisations, NGOs, public sector, private sector, academic institutions, Government organisations, consulting firms and other organisations. Market research and intelligence initiatives to identify and track fresh placement opportunities will also be part of the job.
This offer is on an exclusive basis, which implies that other professional assignments (whether compensated or not) that bear a potential conflict of interest with IIHS cannot be undertaken.
Activities and Tasks
The Manager – Placements, Internships & Career Support will be expected to provide career development support, ensure successful internships, and deliver full-batch placements for graduates of IIHS. Specifically, the incumbent will:
- Create and maintain an updated database of suitable think tanks, development sector organisations, NGOs, public sector, private sector, academic institutions, Government organisations, consulting firms and other organisations where IIHS graduates can potentially find full time employment and internships;
- Undertake research in order to be aware of existing and potential employment opportunities and internships nationally and internationally with above mentioned organisations;
- Strengthen links with existing IIHS partner organisations and establish new links with above mentioned organisations for potential employment and internships;
- Create and maintain information on career development support, internships and placement activities being undertaken by institutions similar to IIHS around the country;
- Coordinate with experts and potential employers, inviting them for guest lectures and presentations and arranging various interdisciplinary workshops through the year in consultation with the Academics & Research team;
- Track and work with Department of Personnel and Training Government of India also, in order to help enable placement in public sector, directly or through lateral recruitment;
- Participate in outward facing events where wider networks with institutions are being built, including the Outreach activities for the Urban Fellows Programme, and use these to consolidate IIHS’s institutional databases for internship and placements activities;
- Create content for placements and internships viz., placement brochures, CVs, employer profiles and other materials that might be relevant from time to time;
- Assess prospective employer requirements, problems, and enquiries, and resolve them in a timely and effective manner; make arrangements for hosting selection events and interviews on & off campus as required;
- Manage and analyse data in relation to placement activity and create reports for both internal and external view; contribute to the development of external accreditation reports and participate in external accreditation reviews;
- Work as the Careers’ Adviser for learner groups, providing guidance in the preparation of application and other materials including CVs, letters, application forms, interview skills and aptitude tests; and counselling graduates on career development and placement choices;
- Create an Alumni database and establish communication channels, ensuring regular communication to promote additional courses and create networking opportunities.
Structure and Reporting
This position will report to the Senior Consultant – Academics & Research leading the UFP at IIHS, and will involve collaborating effectively with a diverse group of internal teams as well as external faculty, IIHS partner organisations, and graduates.
Applicants should have a Master’s or higher degree either in function related fields (such as Business Management, Psychology, Human Resources, Higher Education) or in domain related fields (such as Urban Studies, Development Studies, Urban Planning, Economics, Geography, Sociology, Political Science or other relevant Social Sciences). Prior work experience of 5-10 years in the area of placements, particularly with graduates in the Social Sciences, Humanities and/ or related to the urban sector, such as Architecture, Planning, Civil Engineering etc., would be an advantage.
This position requires a motivated individual with the initiative and drive to identify and target multi-disciplinary employment opportunities to ensure placements for increasing numbers of IIHS graduates every year. Strong communication, inter-personal and organisational skills are essential along with the ability to multi-task and prioritise according to the needs of the organisation.
Excellent presentation skills, along with proficiency in using Microsoft Office, is a must for this role; familiarity with the use of digital and social media is desirable.
This is a paid full time position with a competitive salary. The search will remain open until the position is filled.
This position is based in Bengaluru and may entail travel to other locations in India.
Review and Assessment
The role and performance of the incumbent shall be subject to normal review and assessment systems at IIHS.
Email: email@example.com (Subject: Manager – Placements, Internships & Career Support)
Download Job Description Document