IIHS seeks a person to help consolidate and extend our research and practice portfolio on land, infrastructure and housing, and are looking for practitioners and scholars whose work combines a multi- sectoral interest in land development practices in urban/ periurban areas, a spatial sensibility, and 5-6 years of experience in project finance/ project structuring.
The work will engage with a range of projects such as airports, ring road projects, townships, periurban changes, ports, economic zones, new towns, industrial towns, corridors, etc. At the city scale – projects with land management, financing, and project structuring concerns such as area development plans, housing, industrial zone planning etc. could be potential areas.
The core task of the person in the first two years will be to build a portfolio of research/ practice projects in the space (particularly large- scale urban/ periurban transformation projects) and assist in ongoing research work involving urban land economy and land based financing in Bengaluru. This shall be in addition to teaching and training in IIHS’ full time and short-term teaching and urban practitioner programmes. We are looking for someone who will combine the build-out of a portfolio in this space, with research on ongoing projects at IIHS in the initial years, and then transition to practice, policy advisory and implementation in this space as the pipeline of projects begins to convert.
We are interested in multi-sectoral, multi-institutional and multi-stakeholder perspectives. As such, we are interested in people who combine different determinants and approaches in their work – for example, experience that combines two or more of the following would be preferable – governance, finance, economic studies, spatial and planning-based approaches, project structuring, public- private partnership structuring, project contracting practices, work involving property tenure regimes, land market analyses, policy analysis and research, etc.
The position seeks a person committed to being part of building a research and practice cluster at IIHS. S/he will have the opportunity to build out IIHS’ research, teaching, consulting and training on land concerns in urban economic transformations. S/he will join a set of IIHS researchers across the Schools of Economic Development and Human Development, and will be actively involved with mentoring a young team, and defining strategic priorities for the institution.
Activities and Tasks
Responsibilities would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Building IIHS’ portfolio of research and practice projects in this space (particularly large- scale urban/ periurban transformation projects) by writing research grants, pitching for projects, and/or generating new opportunities for policy advisory at the state or national levels;
- Designing research projects; involvement with primary and secondary research undertaken for projects; undertaking project management activities, as required;
- Building new methodological approaches and communicating the research/ practice work in this area to a wide set of stakeholders in order to generate impact, via outputs that may include commentary pieces, reports, policy papers and briefs, shorter articles for popular media, journal articles, etc.;
- Undertaking field-based research on intersections between project finance, land development, infrastructure and housing as a part of the team at IIHS, Bengaluru;
- Participating in mentoring and building internal capacity in this area of work;
- Participating in incorporating urban land economy and project finance perspectives into on-going IIHS projects;
- Curriculum development and teaching on urban land economy and urban project finance in both short and long-term academic programmes;
- Providing support to other IIHS activities including academics, research, practice, operations and other activities;
- Participating in all activities of Institution-building at IIHS; carrying out tasks as assigned by IIHS; and travel on IIHS work within or outside the country as needed.
Structure and Reporting
The Consultant – Land, Infrastructure and Housing (with Project Finance) will report to the Senior Consultant – Academics & Research at IIHS and will be required to collaborate effectively with a diverse group of internal teams and external individuals/organizations, and students.
We are looking for someone with a Master’s Degree (including but not limited to planning, economic geography, human geography, urban/ development studies, urban management, real estate studies, other degrees that prioritise a spatial sensibility), along with 8 years of experience in project finance/ project structuring. Interest in working on questions of economic transformations in cities, as pertaining to land issues would be an advantage.
The position is open to those holding PhD with atleast 2 years of professional experience, interested in building a research career incorporating a strong relationship to the practice space.
Teaching experience is a plus though not required. Ideal applicants will have experience of leading medium and large-scale projects in Indian cities.
Spoken and written proficiency in English and at least one other modern Indian language is required and, among these, Kannada, Tamil, Telugu and Malayalam are preferred.
This offer is on an exclusive basis, which implies that other professional assignments (whether compensated or not) that bear a potential conflict of interest with IIHS cannot be undertaken.
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
This position is based in Bengaluru and may entail travel to other locations in India.
Review and Assessment
The role and performance of the incumbent shall be subject to normal review and assessment systems at IIHS.
IIHS is an equal opportunity employer that encourages women, people with disabilities and those from economically and socially excluded communities with the requisite skills and qualifications to apply for positions.
Please write to us at email@example.com if you need any clarifications while filling the online application form.
Download Job Description Document