About the TNUSSP
The Department of Municipal Administration and Water Supply, Government of Tamil Nadu Municipal (MAWS, GoTN) aims at scaling up access to safe and sustainable sanitation to all its urban areas in the next five years. Tamil Nadu will be poised to becoming a fully sanitised and healthy state, substantially eliminating open defecation, achieving improvements through the entire sanitation value chain, safely disposing an increasing proportion of its human excreta, and re-using/ recovering resources therefrom. The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF) is supporting GoTN to achieve the Sanitation Mission of Tamil Nadu. This support shall enable the GoTN in investing resources towards innovative solutions to achieve mission goals.
A Technical Support Unit (TSU) has been set up to be the comprehensive technical arm for the MAWS-GoTN, and assists in implementation of state-level and city-level initiatives, based on agreed parameters. In addition, two sub-TSUs have been set up in two select urban locations.
IIHS is supporting the Government of Tamil Nadu, and is the lead agency for implementation of the Tamil Nadu Urban Sanitation Support Programme (TNUSSP).
The Practice Team at IIHS is responsible for providing cutting-edge and integrated solutions to India’s urban development challenges by bringing together faculty and experts across diverse domains of knowledge and practice; exposing learners to real-life problems and integrating the practice into academics and research.
The Urban Local Bodies (ULBs) in Tamil Nadu are currently managing sewage and fecal sludge through networked and non-networked sanitation systems which use treatment technologies such as mechanized activated sludge systems and its modification, stabilization ponds, SBR, aerobic/ anaerobic digesters, constructed wetlands, etc. The treatment facilities are typically planned to serve a cluster of ULBs.
The state is planning to scale-up treatment capacities in a phased manner using a combination of existing/ conventional and new technologies. There are also new/ innovative technologies that are in different stages of development: conceptual to pilot demonstration. The state is planning to test and demonstrate innovative technologies for safe treatment and reuse. The role of Senior Specialist – Waste Treatment Technologies, is to support assessments, demonstration and scaling-up of safe treatment and reuse across the state and work closely with the GoTN to deliver the specified tasks.
The position of Senior Specialist – Waste Treatment Technologies is a part-time, contractual and project-based engagement. The position will be located in the Practice Team at IIHS based out of Chennai, with travel as necessary to other locations in the State and India.
Activities and Tasks
The key activities envisaged under this role would include, but not be limited to, the following:
- Reviewing new, innovative or untried technologies for fecal sludge, municipal wastewater and STP sludge treatment/ reuse;
- Carrying out feasibility assessment of these treatment systems for implementation or scaling up within the state through a combination of field visits, testing and literature reviews;
- Organising discussions, consultative workshops with key stakeholder such as technology providers, operators, and the ULBs to critically examine assessment findings and plan next steps;
- Preparing plans/ proposals for implementation either standalone or at cluster level – covering options, systems, monitoring requirements, contractual and financial briefs for full-fledged financial operating plans including risk analysis;
B. Action Research/Pilots/ Demonstration
- Demonstrating/ piloting suitable options emanating from studies. Examples include: mechanical or chemical treatment/ drying/ dewatering; mobile treatment systems for fecal sludge; co-treatment with multiple wastes, etc.;
- Supporting ULBs for sustaining operations through preparation of operation and maintenance protocols, testing, monitoring, etc.;
- Providing technical support for other pilots or demonstrations undertaken such as reuse demonstration;
C. Implementation Support and Scaling-up
- Development of strategies for scale-up of identified technology options which could include assuring quality for implementation through type designs and development of tools for design, performance specifications for DPRs, contracting, etc.;
- Supporting State and ULBs for scaling up through capacity building, organising exposure visits and training;
- Developing and supporting private enterprises for implementation and O&M management through capacity building;
- Anchoring implementation support and pilots at 2-3 key urban locations such as Trichy, Coimbatore, etc.;
Structure and Reporting
The Senior Specialist – Waste Treatment Technologies will be coordinating on these services and deliverables with the Team Leader – TNUSSP at IIHS and will be required to collaborate effectively with a diverse group of internal teams and external individuals/organisations.
The candidate is required to possess a professional degree and training in Engineering, preferably with a management degree. S/he shall have 10-15 years of relevant experience. The candidate should have a demonstrable track record of having worked in the relevant areas including assessment, pilot testing and implementation experience.
S/he should also have experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams, have interfaced with government and donor agencies, possess good communication, advocacy, people management and coordination skills, and proficiency in MS office and project management. Candidates should also have prior experience of working with government. Reading and writing skills in Tamil and English language is essential.
This is a contractual position, renewable on mutual consent. Other professional assignments (whether compensated or not) that bear a potential conflict of interest with IIHS cannot be undertaken.
The search will remain open until the position is filled.
The position is based in Chennai, with frequent travelling to other locations in Tamil Nadu.
Review and Assessment
The role and performance of the candidate shall be subject to normal review and assessment systems at IIHS.
The IIHS is an equal opportunity employer that encourages women, people with disabilities and those from economically and socially excluded communities with the requisite skills and qualifications to apply for positions.
Please write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need any clarifications while filling the online application form.
Download Job Description Document