The Masters of Urban Practice: Curriculum Framework Version 5.0
A central challenge within the IIHS mission is creating a dynamic, interdisciplinary, South Asia-centric and globally relevant curriculum that spans the two dozen-odd disciplines and practice areas that define urban transformations. The IIHS Curriculum Development Process—stretching over two years from 2009 to 2011—is aimed at taking on precisely this challenge.
The primary objectives of the IIHS curriculum are to create for human settlements professionals, practitioners and researchers from India and other parts of the world:
- An interdisciplinary innovation-oriented knowledge base appropriate to the transformatory opportunities and challenges of South Asian and international settlements in the 21st century
- A quality application-oriented and experiential learning environment that reaches out through and beyond an open campus to across India and other parts of the world.
- A set of opportunities for inclusion, integrated human development and an engagement with Indian Constitutional values
- Opportunities to develop the technical, integrative and epistemological capacities to:
- Design, develop and help deploy the appropriate technologies, infrastructure and management systems from across the globe
- Incubate and catalyse technical, institutional and social innovation, sustainability and enable good governance
- Effectively respond to contemporary and emerging challenges drawing on both disciplinary and indigenous knowledge
- Serve as a platform for dialogue between the state, private and civil society sectors and citizens, especially the most vulnerable
- Be rooted in South Asian culture, arts, and craft, language and scholarship and thereby set global standards for praxis, education and research.
- Avenues for the deepening of the pedagogical and reflective capacities of the faculty to transact an integrated, interdisciplinary programme to meet these transformatory goals.
This is version 5.0
A copy of the curriculum is available at the IIHS Library for reference