Senior Lead – Practice
kwankhade at iihs dot co dot in
MSc (City Design and Social Science), London School of Economics; BArch, School of Planning and Architecture, Delhi
Kavita works at the intersection of natural and built environment and the socio-economic systems. Her recent work focuses on issues of urban sustainability, particularly in infrastructure systems, and urban form.
Kavita has worked on a wide range of areas, including environmental services, sustainability and climate change, urban form, and urban governance. While working primarily in the private sector with a range of institutions including the Water and Sanitation Program of the World Bank, the Rockefeller Foundation, the UK Department for International Development, UNDP and IDFC, her work has involved engagement with various state governments in India. She is currently involved in two projects, one that examines the drivers of urban form, and another assessing sustainability of JNNURM.
Recipient of LSE Graduate Support Scheme
Built Form, Infrastructure and Sustainability, Environment and the City, Tools and Methods and Systems, Integrated Practica
- Anand, G., Wankhade, K., Raman, R. K., Deb, A., & Vishnu, M. J. (2016). Tracing exclusions in urban water supply and sanitation. In India Exclusion Report (pp. 67-106). New Delhi: Yoda Press.
- Wankhade, K. (2015). Urban sanitation in India: key shifts in the national policy frame. Environment and Urbanization, 27(2), 555-572.
- Wankhade, K., & Anand, G. (2014). Sustainable urban water and sanitation in India: review of a national programme. Paper presented at the 37th WEDC International Conference on the sustainable water and sanitation services for all in a fast changing world, Hanoi, Vietnam, 15-19 September. Hanoi: WEDC- Water, Engineering and Development Centre.
- Anand, S., & Wankhade, K. (2014). Understanding drivers of urban expansion: exploratory case studies of three Indian cities. UGEC Viewpoints, 10, 26-30.
- Wankhade, K., Balakrishnan, K., & Vishnu, M. J. (2014). Urban water supply and sanitation in India: sustaining policy momentum (IIHS-RF paper on urban water and sanitation in India). Bangalore: Indian Institute for Human Settlements.
- Wankhade, K. (2012). JNNURM: An Opportunity for Sustainable Urbanisation (Working Paper: C-35040-INC-1). London: International Growth Centre.
- Wankhade, K., & Sudhira, H. (2012). Confronting the Challenges and Opportunities of Indian Urbanization: Insights from the 2011 India Urban Conference. UGEC Viewpoints, 7, 28-30.
- Revi, A., Idicheria, C., Jain, G., Anand, G., Sudhira, H., Seddon, J., . . . Srinivasan, S. (2011). Urban India 2011: Evidence. Bangalore: Indian Institute for Human Settlements.
- Wankhade, K., & Balakrishnan, K. (2011). Land, Infrastructure and Ecological Sustainability in Indian Cities. In India Urban Conference 2011: Evidence & Experience, Mysore, 17 November, 2011. Bangalore: Indian Institute for Human Settlements.
- Wankhade, K., & Balakrishnan, K. (2010). Sustainable settlements design: innovation in curriculum. In F. Ceschin, C. Vezzoli, & J. Zhang (Eds.), Sustainability in design: now! challenges and opportunities for design research, education and practice in the XXI century (pp. 832-839). Sheffield, U.K.: Greenleaf Publishing.
For more details, see Google Scholar profile.