csingh at iihs dot ac dot in
Ph.D. Rural Development (2014), University of Reading, UK
M.Sc. Natural Resource Management (2008), TERI University (The Energy and Resources Institute), New Delhi
B.Sc. Botany (Honours) (2006), Delhi University, New Delhi
Chandni is a postdoctoral researcher working on the CARIAA (Collaborative Adaptation Research Initiative in Asia and Africa) project. She specializes in researching the interface between climate change adaptation, livelihood transformations, and rural-urban dynamics. Her doctoral research explored farmer vulnerability and adaptation strategies to water scarcity and climate change in southern Rajasthan (India).
Chandni has worked with several civil society organisations such as Pragya, WWF-India, and the Foundation for Ecological Security (FES) on projects related to community-based adaptation and natural resource management. Most recently, she led the South Asian component of the Asian Review on Integrated Landscape Initiatives in collaboration with Bioversity International.
2013 – Arthur Hosier and Meyer Sassoon Travel Award, University of Reading
2010-13 – Felix Scholarship Recipient to undertake PhD research
2008 – Gold Medalist, MSc Natural Resource Management, TERI University
- Gajjar, S. P., Jain, G., Michael, K., & Singh, C. (2017, Forthcoming). Entrenched vulnerabilities: evaluating climate justice across development and adaptation responses in Southern India. In K.K. Bhavnani, J. Foran, P.A. Kurian & D. Munshi (Eds.), Climate Futures: Re-imagining Global Climate Justice. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press.
- Singh, C (2017, Forthcoming). Is participatory watershed development building local adaptive capacity? findings from a case study in Rajasthan, India. Water Alternatives.
- Zanzanaini, C., Tran, B., Singh, C., Hart, A., Milder, J., & DeClerck, F. (2017). Integrated landscape management for agriculture, livelihoods, and ecosystem conservation: an assessment of experience from South and Southeast Asia. Landscape and Urban Planning, 165, 11-21.
- Singh, C., Daron, J., Bazaz, A., Ziervogel, G., Spear, D., Krishnaswamy, J., … Kituyi, E. (2017). The utility of weather and climate information for adaptation decision making: current uses and future prospects in Africa and India. Climate and Development.
- Singh, C., Deshpande, T., & Basu, R. (2017). How do we assess vulnerability to climate change in India? A systematic review of literature. Regional Environmental Change, 17(2), 527-538.
- Singh, C., Dorward, P., & Osbahr, H. (2016). Developing a holistic approach to the analysis of farmer decision-making: implications for adaptation policy and practice in developing countries. Land Use Policy, 59, 329-343.
- Singh, C., Gajjar, S. P., & Deshpande, T. (2016). Policies, projects and people exploring the adaptation-development spectrum in India (CARIAA-ASSAR Working Paper 2). Ottawa, Canada: International Development Research Centre.
- Singh, C., Unqhart, P., & Kituyi, E. (2016). From pilots to systems: barriers and enablers to scaling up the use of climate information services in small holder farming communities (CARIAA Working Paper No. 1). Ottawa, Canada: International Development Research Centre.
- Singh, C., Basu, R., & Srinivas, A. (2016). Livelihood vulnerability and adaptation in Kolar District, Karnataka, India: Mapping risks and responses. Short Report. Cape Town, S.A.: ASSAR.
- Singh, C. (2016, July 7). India’s urban fantasy: deconstructing the real estate myth. Policyforum.net.
For more details, see Google Scholar profile.